State and local governments who administer their OPEB plans as trusts or have established equivalent arrangements must follow the reporting guidelines in GASB Statement 43. GASB 43 reporting parallels that prescribed for GASB 45. In most instances, the same steps apply to the process, including:
- clarify the features of your OPEB plans in a “pre-valuation” discussion.
- gather the plan and participant detail needed to prepare the valuation.
- select key assumptions (e.g., turnover, retirement age, discount rate and/or medical trend rate) based on your experience.
- determine the actuarial value of benefits for active and retired employees.
- generate the reports necessary to satisfy GASB 43 requirements, including financial information, required schedules and footnote disclosures.
- provide an Actuarial Certification in compliance with Actuarial Standards Practice of the American Academy of Actuaries.
- deliver electronic and paper copies of your reports.
- review these reports with you in a post-valuation discussion.
To receive a proposal, pricing and additional information about our capabilities, please submit a proposal request. You will receive a confirmation e-mail that your request has been received. A member of the GASB Assist team will send you a proposal within 7 business days. You may also contact us at email@example.com or 877.217.5539 for further information.